It’s Happy World Breastfeeding Week! I know I’m late. But better late than never. I’ve been breastfeeding Baby O for a year now and he has no plans of weaning.
Hey, I’m not complaining. I breastfed Princess until she was two-years-old.
I realized as I was going through my arsenal of baby photos that I don’t have many nursing pictures. It’s not by choice. For some reason, I just never thought to take any or maybe it’s because I just get caught up in the moment. Moving forward I’ll be taking much more. I’m not sure if I’ll have another opportunity. It’s funny how times flies. Life without kids seemed like yesterday.
I actually learned the benefits of nursing prior to becoming a mom. But, I wasn’t sure if I’d ever give it a shot. The more I researched, the more I knew it was the right thing to do for my babies. Don’t get me wrong; not everyone’s into it, and that’s okay too. I’m not the breastfeeding Nazi demanding everyone to nurse. But I can say that it’s worth a try. You never know, you may enjoy it as much as your baby. That said, here are five things I love about breastfeeding.
1. It’s healthy. It helps build immunity. It’s not something that happens overnight. It seemed like both kids, especially Baby O, got sick a bunch of times. But, I chalked it up to daycare. Now Princess rarely gets sick. I’m sure as Baby O gets older his immune system will get stronger too.
2. Bonding. I’ve developed a close relationship with both my children and I think a big reason why is because of nursing.
3. It’s a great soother. If Baby O gets cranky, breastfeeding would calm him down immediately.
4. Saves time. When I’m at work, Baby O drinks from a bottle. But, there’s no need to warm one up when I’m around.
5. Saves money. We’ve never had to buy a can of formula. When I think about how much money we’ve save, I don’t feel so bad when I want to splurge.
6. Weight loss. This one is debatable. But I can say that I lost a good chunk of my pregnancy pounds from nursing. I had to work a little harder to lose the last 10-15.
In honor of breastfeeding week, Lansinoh put together this infographic with some great breastfeeding facts that I thought you might find interesting. Check it out!
Did you breastfeed your kids? Please share your likes/dislikes.