We try to create curly hairstyles that are cute and easy to do. So when Eileen Carter-Campos of Mommy Teaches shared a video of the Chinese staircase ponytail braid on Facebook, we decided to make it our curly hairstyle of the week.
The Chinese staircase ponytail braid also brings back memories of my childhood living in Brooklyn, New York when we played with lanyards.
Lanyards are plastic strings that can be used to make different things. We used to come up with all kinds of stitches, and the Chinese staircase was one of my favorite designs.
Curly Hairstyles: Chinese Staircase Ponytail Braid
- We start off by putting the hair into a ponytail.
- Then take a small piece of hair and wrap it around the base of the ponytail to cover up the hair tie for a seamless look.
- Take that same piece of hair and loop it behind the ponytail and thread it through the loop.
- Pull firmly to create the first stitch.
- Next, grab another piece of hair and repeat the same pattern.
Also, feel free to use water, gel or oil to tame fly aways. I also find it easier to achieve curly hairstyles when hair is damp. This allows for easier control.
When it comes to styling my daughter’s hair in the morning, we don’t have much time. You can do this curly hairstyle in less than 10 minutes. You can also continue the Chinese staircase ponytail braid throughout the length of the hair or you can finish off with an elastic midway, and allow curls to flow freely.
There are so many options to try. Just have fun with it and make it your own.
What are some of your favorite curly hairstyles?